Dedicated to Fiona

Dedicated to Fiona
Fiona, the glory of Snoozeville

Friday, June 15, 2012

Does it count if it's medicinal??

I don't know which day this is, maybe day 3.  I'm pretty tired.  Was setting up a bed from IKEA last night and dropped part of it on my foot...which knocked me down...and I hit my head--right on the cochlear implant site--on the big oak dresser.  Not only that, when I finally landed, my keys dug into my hip, and that hurt like hell.  I did tapping right away, though, and this morning all the swelling was down, no pain in foot or head, a little in hip.  Not bad.  

Anyway, after a longish day, wrestling now & then with the bed, and visiting  here and there, I am having my chest pain, for which I usually have a shot of likker.  It's not a serious, go-to-the-ER-type pain, just the old ache that's followed me around for more than half my life. 

The question is, now that I'm not drinking alcohol, wot do I do about the pain? A doctor prescribed nitroglycerin way back in 1991, but I threw it out.  I figured that was the beginning of the end, since it turned out that way for both my parents.  Plain old whiskey takes the pain away immediately, but that's out until I figure out how to quit drinking but still drink. 

Meanwhile, chamomile tea seems calming, so I'm having a cup of that and thinking of the women who toil on the Royal Ottoman farm's 4000 acres in Egypt where it's produced.  I'm sharing my comfort with them in their moments of pain and tiredness.  The Buddhists call this tonglen practice, sending and taking. 

2 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Just do what ever works best. I've never been one to medicate with booze -- it would take all the fun out of it!!! That said, I rarely drink these days -- not even a beddy-bye brewsky.

Xtreme English said...

hey....thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! i drink when i get up, not when i go to bed....too many pills at night....ha. or rather, DRANK. nowt like a little Jamieson's in me coffee!

how u been?

Post a Comment